Thursday, January 23, 2014

Lip Crayon Craze: Bourjois Color Boost in Red Sunrise

Just when you thought I couldn't possibly buy any more lip crayons... Oh, the neon bright packaging from an old favorite brand that's unavailable in the States just whispered my name seductively from a 40% off promo display (and those sales never happen in Polish drugstores!), and there was no stopping me. But anyway, look at this beaut: it's the Bourjois Color Boost Lip Crayon in Red Sunrise ($14.80 on Asos.com).
I thought the claims on this lip pencil were quite interesting: 'A new generation formula that provides a bare lip sensation thanks to its light and non-sticky texture. With it silk extract formula, Colour Boost brings comfort and hydration to your lips for 10 hours. Its waterproof colour and SPF 15 make Colour Boost both practical and beautiful'  (from Bourjois website). I believe these crayons are available in six shades, including quite a few punchy options like this Red Sunrise color I purchased.
The Color Boosts are supposed to be more on the sheer side, but I actually found Red Sunrise rather vibrant going on, although it has a thinner, lighter feel than a standard cream lipstick. The crayon has a glossy finish and a slight jelly translucency when swatched on my arm, but you can't really discern that once it's on the lips. It wore comfortably and stayed put reasonably well without drying my lips out. I wouldn't exactly call it waterproof though; it does leave a slight stain behind but it still transfers and wears off in the middle like any other lipstick. I find it less tenacious than Revlon's Just Kissable Balm Stains but also more comfortable/less drying to wear.
Red Sunrise is a very pretty watermelon red shade with some pink tones lurking underneath. I don't really have a red in my collection that's a similar color (yay!): MAC's Viva Glam Cyndi is in the same family, but more muted, while a cool pinkish red like Revlon Super Lustrous in Cherries in the Snow lacks the coral undertones. You can also see that both of these lipsticks have a heavier, waxier formula that's more prone to accentuating skin texture.
L-R: Bourjois Color Boost in Red Sunrise, Chanel Rouge Coco Shine in Monte Carlo, fresh Sugar Tinted Lip Treatment in Passion, MAC Viva Glam Cyndi lipstick, Revlon Superlustrous in Cherries in the Snow
I apologize for the poor quality of this lip swatch - the warm, sunny afternoon lighting effectively killed all the pink aspects of this color. On a different note though, I'm wearing the remnants of lash extensions I got done while I was in Poland. My overall thoughts on this experiment is that the extensions can be quite fun and save you some mascara application time in the morning, but overall they're just not my style - I thought they overwhelmed my eye shape, felt too heavy and looked too obviously fake. A couple days ago I got so annoyed with the wonky little buggers, I pulled almost all of them out, and now I'm furiously applying my LiLash, waiting for my own fringe to grow out. Le sigh.
I'm now officially vowing to not buy anymore lip crayons for a good while, even though more brands are still coming out with their versions, especially at the drugstore. Would you be at all interested in a comparison/overview post on the formulas I've tried so far? Because you know, they would look so pretty arranged together in a photo...

12 comments:

  1. Hey Monika, oh yeah I'm definitely interested in an overview post! I only own one Clinique Cubby intense so far, so it's safe to say I haven't experimented a lot in terms of lip crayons. This one is adorable! I was mega tempted when I saw them in a store last summer, but managed not to pick any up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one Cinique Chubby Stick Intense too, but also a whole lot of other crayons :) I'll do the overview in a couple weeks as not to overwhelm everyone with the same thing over and over. I actually wanted to try other colors as well but the display was really picked over :(

      Delete
  2. I love this formula, it's so moisturising and the finish is beautiful :o) Xx

    Makeup by Candlelight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm jealous that you guys have ready access to Bourjois, it's a great drugstore brand!

      Delete
  3. Red Sunrise looks beautiful! Also it's a lot more opaque than I thought from the swatch when worn on the lips. Why we no get Bourjois! UNFAIR!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that lip color is so pretty!
    perfect for everyday

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look so beautiful in that red :)

    I have yet to try the Bourjois lip pencils but I do remember borrowing one off a friend and REALLY liking it!

    x
    Phoebe
    Eat. Live. Love. Repeat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, I have to remember this one! I wonder if it's available here, because I haven't seen it yet. Maybe (hopefully) I just missed it, because it's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's pretty, though! A really lovely sheer red (I've been thinking about getting one...I kind of want a sheer Shu lipstick though). Let's have that overview post! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. you're right so many brands are coming out with these crayones now! at first i was really interested to try them all but its getting to much and i'm really bad at telling them apart :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a sort of renewed interest in Bourjois so this is super helpful! It's a pretty colour and looks great on lips. And I wouldn't have noticed the lashes except that they look pretty lush and pretty to me. Go easy on the fake lash post that I'll have coming up next month? lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is gorgeous! I've never tried anything from Bourjois, as it's not readily accessible in the US, but I'm definitely curious about the brand. I'll have to keep this in mind for when I visit someplace they're sold!

    ReplyDelete