Monday, February 4, 2013

What a Man Wants: Lipstick Bandits Valentine's Look

And not just any man - my husband, that is! For our February Lipstick Bandit collab, we decided to either feature a Valentine's Day inspired look or a pink lip product. Since I haven't really had anything in store pink-wise (shocking, I know), I've settled on a look based on what a man wants for his woman to wear, specifically what Mr likes me to wear, as discovered by careful fishing around.
Coincidentally, I've also recently stumbled upon an article in the Self magazine on beauty trends men love and hate. Setting aside the sheer stupidity of the piece ('Side-swept bangs make him want to go bang-bang', or some such nonsense), I felt very rebellious at the very idea of a woman choosing a look because men seem to like it. Frankly, my dears, I just wouldn't give a damn. I dress the way I want to, I style my hair the way I want to, and lastly, I make myself up the way I want to. I may, if such is my fancy at the time, sport a make-up look my husband likes more than some of the others but honestly, most of the time, he doesn't give a damn either. So this post is essentialy a bit tongue-in-cheek but hey, I desperately needed an idea for Valentine's look; hearts and Cupids are just not my thing.
So, having spent a couple minutes interviewing my very puzzled other half, it seems he prefers a make-up that is a) noticeable, b) more glamorous than daytime, c) with a darker lip and some smokey action on the eyes (this has been translated into technical terms from cave speech by yours truly). From these simple outlines, I've decided on a fresh, flawless complexion achieved by layering a couple of base products rather than using one high coverage foundation, an understated but glowy cheek, a medium brown smokey eyes and a sheer but darker lip, applied by patting the lipstick on with a finger for a pretty wine stain. I've also wanted the look to have an easy, comfortable feel - a bit more dramatic than any other day but still quite effortless and feminine, so no fiddling with false lashes, no lip liner and gloss on the lips. The result is a look he likes on me, and a look I feel pretty in.
Here's the breakdown of the products used; they're some examples from my collection but you could very easily replace them with whatever you have. I've used a foundation primer to give my Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum a bit more staying power on my combination skin, and to diffuse any uneven texture. I finished off the face by using Laura Mercier Mineral Powder for added coverage and to set the liquid foundation. The medium and dark browns from the Stila E! Live on the Red Carpet palette have a soft, satin finish and supreme blendability, which made them a perfect match for this look. There isn't a whole lot of shimmer going on here, apart from a subtly glowy baked Accessorize blush in Diva and a dab of Stila 'Kitten' eyeshadow on the inner corners. Lips are, of course, my beloved Sleek Make-up lipstick in Cherry.
Don't forget to check out other Bandits' picks for the Valentine's Day:
Beauty Reflections
ChloeAsh
Eye Heart It
Getting Cheeky
Glitter Geek
Makeup Morsels
Messy Wands
Musing on Beauty
My Funny Valentine
My Women Stuff
theNotice: a beauty blog

And new to the Lipstick Bandits this time around:
Do you know what is your man's favorite make-up look on you? Any exciting plans for Valentine's?

23 comments:

  1. So cute and girly! Very pretty and with SO approval, what more do you want? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very, very pretty! For a bolder look, it still looks touchable and soft.

    If I did this challenge, I would be wearing chapstick. My husband HATES makeup. He always says I look nice in it, but does so while wrinkling his nose. So I say HA! to those who suggest that we make ourselves up for men. Clearly we do it for ourselves. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, girl power all the way! Like they care if they dress the way we like them too...

      Delete
  3. So pretty! My husband has similar ideas with yours. He asked me why women like no makeup makeup because we might as well go without makeup. He cracks me up. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Lily, he was baffled when I asked if he liked unnoticeable make-up :)

      Delete
  4. Cherry looks amazing on you! The lips is the first thing that drew my attention. It's an interesting idea to wear what your other half likes for once, I feel like doing it too, just for fun, lol :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beaaauuuttyyyy!!! LOL at "translated into technical terms from cave speech." :D Boys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'Side-swept bangs make him want to go bang-bang' made me laugh so much. Hahahaha!
    You look fantastic! The lip color is very festive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You remind me of Amelie! I really like that you kept the eye look subtle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha...I was actually expecting a semi sexy shot. "Honey you look great anything but I like it the best when you are nekkid". I have no idea for valentine looks (from the person who can't even blend eyeshadow properly) but I guess you can try a men-repeller style for once and see how it goes?

    A few years ago I read an interview of Cameron Diaz (forgot the magazine) and when she was asked which of the two she picks, red lips or smokey eyes. She chose smokey eyes because men will be intimidated/ won't want to kiss a full lip makeup (I guess black eyeshadow smeared on his face is more appealing O_o)...All I could think was that isn't that a little pathetic if all her makeup/cloth decision is made based on how men would react to it, not her own preference?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interestingly, my husband wasn't bothered with lipstick transfer at all when I asked him :) I like playing up my lips, so there! I've never been a big fan of Cameron Diaz in general, to be honest...

      LOL at the nekkid shot :P

      Delete
  9. Can you BE any more gorgeous Monika? LOVE the whole look especially the lips!
    Yeah, my hubby also doesn't care. I remember someone asking me what he thought when I died my hair that bright red, and I said:It's not HIS hair, so who cares? He just cares about me being happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eeeeee, you're so pretty, Monika! And LOL at translating caveman speech and the rest...I actually giggled while reading your post. I think you're right, we should wear makeup the way we want to - the way that makes us feel good! And obviously, if our men decided to stick with us, then they must be fans, right??? So. THERE.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH JEEZ YOU'RE TOO PRETTY, Monika!!! I totally get what you mean. In the beginning my boyfriend didn't like "bright" lipsticks (though his interpretation for bright was so broad that basically it meant he didn't want to see any lipstick on me). It was fine because I wasn't big on lipsticks until not so long ago, but when I started getting into lipsticks I was pushing his boundaries. He wouldn't say he didn't like them unless I asked, but when I asked he would say he didn't like them because I "looked old." However he gradually got on board with the idea. Nowadays I can wear whatever and he would tell me it's fine and not too much. I think his REAL preferences probably stay with more understated looks, but I'm glad he's more tolerant now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahaha this was a great read! My boyfriend doesn't like very obvious lips, and that's about it. Doesn't keep me from wearing the brightest lipsticks ever.

    Your face is pure gorgeous woman! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a sweet, pretty look! I think it'd be gorgeous for any date night or for spring or whatever!! :P You're too freaking gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are just so beautiful! I can see why your husband prefers this look, it suits you so well my dear.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  15. omg I died at 'side-swept bangs make him want to go bang-bang,' who on earth thought that was actually a good idea?! People sometimes...

    I love this look on you, it's glowy and romantic and gorgeous :) Definitely captures the spirit of Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the concept behind this Lipstick Bandit edition! You look stunning, I love how it's just half a step above daytime makeup (IMO that is)...understated yet still pretty/put together. My boyfriend actually likes me in lipstick, I think he's fascinated by the look haha! Either way though I wear what I like :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glowy and gorgeous! Wow :D I loved that you asked your man what he wanted in the look because so often we are told that men don't care or that they want something "natural" when in fact, a bit of colour or lipstick is what they mean LOL :D p/s loving your latest photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks so beautiful on you! Looove this lip color and the Stila Kitten on the corner of the eye!

    ReplyDelete