Thursday, February 14, 2013

Rocaille Swatches: Annabelle Twistup in Kinky Pink

My thoughts these past couple of days have been inching closer and closer toward spring: sunshine, warmth, vibrant colors... Which is why I whipped out a little Canadian treat from my lip stuffs drawer: Annabelle Twistup Retractable Lipstick Crayon in Kinky Pink. And no, I'm not really getting kinky with it, just before someone asks.
Annabelle Twistups ($9.95 CAD for 0.05oz / 1.5g) are, as you probably guessed, lipsticks shaped like thin crayons - a lot thinner than, say, Clinique Chubby Sticks or Revlon Balm Stains and more similar to the fatter eye pencils like the Make Up Forever Aqua Eyes or Laura Mercier Caviar sticks. As a little side note, I'm feeling a bit over the whole 'chubby stick/fat crayon' trend that seems to be popping up everywhere now, but these pencil/lipstick hybrids do come in handy on the go when you need a more precise application without having to use a liner. Also, props for being retractable - NARS, take note!
The shade 'Kinky Pink' is a true hot pink leaning neither too cool or too warm. Compared to some of my other hot pinks with a redder undertone, it swatches lighter and pinkier than my Inglot no. 58 gel lipstick or Revlon Cherries in the Snow Super Lustrous lipstick. It is however decidedly warmer when compared to a blue fuschia like Revlon Balm Stain in Smitten (not included in the photo).
(L-R): Annabelle Lipstick Crayon in Kinky Pink, Inglot Gel Lipstick in no.58 , Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Cherries in the Snow
On the lips, Annabelle 'Kinky Pink' takes a couple swipes to build up the color and has a slight tendency for unevenness when applied on top of lip balm. Texturally, it is slightly waxier than most lipsticks and again, reminds me a bit of Revlon Balm Stains. While it does look glossy and feels moisturizing during the first two hours (the product is enriched with nourishing shea butter and Omega 3 and 6), it fades into more of a satin finish and then a stain towards the 3-4 hour mark. It is also when it starts feeling a bit clingy and drying, which is why for me, a lip balm underneath is a necessity.
All in all, Annabelle Twistup in Kinky Pink is a great, refreshing burst of color for this dreary February but I am not madly in love with the formula - I think I prefer the Revlon version, which can also be quite drying but retains vivid color for longer.

What is your favorite lip crayon formula or are you over the whole trend?

7 comments:

  1. Ahh, I think I need to dig out my hot pink balm/stain and lip butter.

    Actually, I am totally not over the trend yet (at least before I will give the Neutrogena papaya a go, if it ever goes on sale) and even they are all in pencil form, the formula are so different that I don't feel like I am trying/seeing the same thing over and over again (totally got jaded by the sheer lipstick thing).

    ReplyDelete
  2. PRETTY! the packaging seems pretty handy too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to try these Annabelle lipsticks but I feel like I have too many of these types of product laying around! The soft pink looks really great on your skin tone though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. im abit over the trend as well, I like how these are slimmer though! :D

    xo; L&M
    www.twoplicates.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought the colour would suit you well and I was right! :)

    Too bad about the formula though. I hadn't tried it myself but had hopes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bit of a Liz month this February :) I still wear it on top of a good lip balm, thank you dear!

      Delete
  6. Omg I was wondering whether these were any good ty for the review. You kinda look like Amelie from the movie of the same name!

    ReplyDelete