Thursday, November 1, 2012

Rocaille Redes: How to Shop for Clothes

Browsing through my closet recently, I've realized that I made a lot of clothing purchases this year - firstly, I had some more money than previous years and secondly, I needed a lot more work-appropriate options. However, looking back at the clothes and accessories I acquired, I came to the conclusion that only a portion of my buys were necessities and out of these, also not all are the things I love and wear regularly. Since going through a big closet clear-out these past two days and thinking through my clothing buying habits, I've decided to establish and enforce some 'clothes shopping rules' to spend my pennies more wisely and enjoy my purchases more. This is maybe a little different for my blog but it's something that's been on my mind a lot lately, so I figured I'd share and maybe get some more tips from you guys in exchange; how does that sound?
 1. Be yourself. Take a good look at what you have and think about the things you like to wear the most - allow yourself to be you and enjoy your favorite things, no matter what other people are buying; follow only the trends that you like. For me, I've always preferred more fitted t-shirts to the larger boxy designs that are all the rage right now and also, I'm on my feet a lot so heels can only be a special occasion shoe for me, even though I love how glamorous they look on others and how much they elongate the legs.

2. Don't hesitate to buy things with a very specific purpose if you need them. I'd put off buying rain boots for 3 years even though I live in the Seattle area and I have one old battered swimming suit that doesn't fit because 'Oh, I don't really need it all that often'. This is just plain ridiculous.

3. Splurge on staples and classic wardrobe pieces. Why do I still use a $2 fraying pleather belt with my dress pants? It's alright to spend more on things you wear regularly and which don't go out of style for a long time, like a timeless white oxford shirt (that I personally still don't have), black slacks, good quality camis, opaque black tights.

4. Only settle for the best when shopping for your staples. Trendy little pieces can come and go but don't buy the basic building blocks of your closet because 'they're ok, I guess'. They need to be perfect (in your respective price range, of course!).

5. Before going out to shop, take a last good look at your closet; pay attention to colors, fits, lenghts, textures and patterns of the pieces you own. It will help you avoid buying very similar things to what you already have as well as allow you to visualize possible pairings and outfit ideas. Also, keep a running wishlist that reflects what your wardrobe might be currently lacking; try to shop more for necessities rather than immediate likes.
6. Only buy if a piece fits (almost) perfectly and feels comfortable on (that means trying things on, and occasionally returning an item, peeps). Remember how your favorite clothes and shoes are the ones that fit like a glove! This year alone I've bought two pairs of ballet flats that simply don't fit my very narrow feet, what a waste :(

7. Every once in a while, identify a group of items that you're banned from purchasing; i.e. things that you already have a lot of. It's fine to have more of the things you wear regularly, like tank tops or scarves for me, but realistically, how many do you actually need? Going through my drawers, I officially don't need any more long-sleeved tops or Victoria's Secret bras - so I'm giving up buying these items until I decide to downsize what I already have.

This is it for now - I'm sure I'm forgetting something but it's a start. I'm thinking of posting similar shopping 'rules and regulations' for make-up, as well as a separate guide on downsizing your stash and making the most of your collection; I have more deep thoughts, people! Let me know if that is something you'd be interested in reading, and don't forget to share your best shopping tips in the comments :)

11 comments:

  1. I completely agree! Rain boots are a must in this area - they simply are. I wear them for about six months out of the year, I think, so I definitely indulged in a pair that fits well and is completely waterproof. And they're bright red, which helps ward off some of the rainy gloom. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I became discouraged after I tried a couple pairs and they were way too heavy and clunky to be comfortable. I ordered a pair from Hautelook that doesn't even look like typical wellies, we'll see!

      Delete
    2. I know - I don't like the Hunters that everyone wears for those same reasons. I have these! http://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/Cole-Haan-Air-Lizzie-Rain-Boot-Boots/prod136660041/

      Delete
    3. How shiny and pretty! I got a pair from a company called dav, they look like black riding boots :)

      Delete
  2. I giggled a little when you say you need to stop buying Victoria's secret bras (I always thought one can never have too many bras around, since you need them every day. But then again, how can you actually accumulate too many). Anyway, I don't buy that many clothes (not many thing go with the flaming hot weather here) so I don't give them much though...I just pick up a whatever that seems well-made and on a deep discount.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a friend who used to work there and has about 60 bras in her collection - and she already gave away at least 12 to me. I guess with our weather here we have more options, plus I tire of the same clothes very easily :)

      Delete
  3. Hmmm... I'm probably the last person to take advice from since I have a major shopping habit and expensive tastes haha! I do agree, however, to splurge on basics that you will get a lot of wear out of. I also usually avoid "fast fashion" stores like Forever 21 and H&M because I don't like the quality and sure, you get a cheap thrill but adding up a few of those pieces and you could get one designer item that you will treasure more!

    Re: rainboots... those are such a necessity in Vancouver as well! My Hunters have served me well :)

    xo, alison*elle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so guilty of going for the cheap thrills instead of saving up for a good quality item that I'll love for years. Forever 21, what have you done to me?! It's like a fast food of clothing stores.

      Delete
  4. Hi Rocaille, this was a fun and surprising post! The suggestions are spot on and I should probably follow them more often :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tips! I was such a clothes horse. For a period of about seven years, there was rarely a week when I didn't buy something. (I worked - and still work - in an area surrounded by stores and a giant mall. Shopping was a usual lunch hour activity for many of us...) This year I put a total ban on buying clothes and have purchased only one $13 tank top since January 2012. I still have to go through a culling stage and get rid of things that I haven't touched in more than a year or two. But stopping the crazy pile-up has definitely helped to see what needs to be done in the future and what few things I actually really need!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i used to be a HUGE shopaholic but have definitely improved over the last two years. I definitely follow all of these steps, and it helps! Now when it comes to clothes, i tend to only buy things on my shopping list, and most of the time it is stuff i would get a lot of wear from. Anyway, I'd like to organzie my clothes better and use one of those closet apps, but i just don't have time! Anyway, the beauty shopping is what is hard these days, so i'd love to hear your tips in that area! Even though I know the concepts are the same, but I only recently have been able to stick to a plan, haha!

    ReplyDelete