Wednesday, October 31, 2012

October Beauty Favorites

I don't actually have a whole lot to show you this month; I've been staying in the reassuring bonds of my comfort zone and for once, I think I am pretty cool with that. In the end, maybe I do in fact have a strong preference towards certain colors and textures and don't need to try every single beauty product out there? Who knows...
The Pumpkin Caramel Latte from Bath & Body Works smells amaze too!
 Let's get the 'boring' things out of the way and start with skincare. Since I stopped taking oral antibiotics some 2 months ago, my skin has been both more dry and more breakout-prone. To seal in the moisture and plump up the skin, I've decided to start using a toner again and turned to the trusted Alaffia skincare again; this here is the Rooibos and Shea Butter Antioxidant Facial Toner. It spritzes out as a very fine mist and seems to soothe and hydrate nicely; plus, I really like the ylang-ylang vanilla scent!

Now that the weather is getting colder, I've also been more diligent with exfoliating my scaly bod, and Haus of Gloi Ghost Puffs Soft Bubbling Scrub has been my weapon of choice. It's supposed to smell of buttery popcorn and gooey marshmallows on a stick but to me it smells very realistically of one of my favorite Polish desserts called karpatka. It's a bit like two sheets of puff pastry with custard-like filling inbetween; I can really smell the sweet vanilla and butter in this one. Absolutely delicious!
 Make-up wise, I've been glued to my new NARS 'Sin' blusher for the past two months; I just can't get enough! It's the perfect neutral plummy shade with a subtle sheen that goes with EVERYTHING. Or so I'd like to think, because I'm lazy like that. Along the same lines, the eagerly pursued Maybelline Eye Studio Color Tattoo in Barely Beige makes for a great every day staple if you're feeling a bit uninspired, or prefer to go with a bolder lip, which is something I've been increasingly going for. To finish off the look, I pile on the Lancome Definicils Precious Cells mascara sample in Black; I think this might be one of the best mascaras I've tried in a long time. Mine is unfortunately drying up a bit but I may splurge on the full size sometime in the future.
For lips, I've been reaching for the Revlon Lip Butter in Berry Smoothie the most this month. It has to be said that I'm not the biggest fan of the formula; unlike many, I don't find it particularly moisturizing or comfortable to wear. I do love this shade though and I'm thinking of picking up a similar color from a more high-end brand.

Lastly, this Revlon Top Speed nail polish in Royal has to be the most perfect navy blue I've ever come across; thanks for the tip, Essie Button! I do prefer Revlon's regular nail polish formula (this starts to dry almost before I manage to spread it out evenly on my nails) but the shade cannot be beat. Wear time on me, as always, remains the same (i.e. about 5-6 days). 
Here you can see the Definicils mascara and Revlon nail polish in action, as well as some seriously overdue bang trim.
What have you been loving this month? Have you stayed within your comfort zone or branched out a little bit?

8 comments:

  1. Out of the lip butters Berry Smoothie is my favorite color as well. I've been trying to experiment with different colors this month. And also trying loose pigments, I usually just use pressed eyeshadows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the SIN blush of Nars! Hit pan on it and decided to try Super Orgasm but I miss SIN so I might run out and get it soon!!

    ♥,
    Shari
    The Misty Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so pretty, Monika! I love this set of photos, too - makes me feel very warm and cozy, especially with the candle :) I played it safe with makeup all month, too, because I was too lazy and lacking creativity. I'm starting to get back into color now, but I'm finding that I don't have the right bright colors. ._.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh oh oh, I love everything in this post! Your face. <3

    I've been playing safe, too, but because I'm lazy and love sleep a little more than makeup right now. Need to get back to the new appreciation for red lips and blue shadows!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, that Pumkin Caramel Latte candle must smell soooooooooooo delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually smells a lot like... walnut icecream? I know that's a bit weird but I love it anyways :)

      Delete
  6. Surprisingly, I loosened my tight grip on neutral palettes this fall, in favor of plum eyes. Ok, arguably, they are still a comfortably safe and subdued color family to wear. I especially like the plum palette from Lorac's sweet temptations eyeshadow set that is exclusive to Ulta.

    For lips, berry smoothie had been so trustworthy this summer. It's really a "MLBB" shade for me. So for fall, I decided to kick it up a notch and have been rocking, sorta, the bold lips look ala Revlon lip butter in raspberry pie and Bare escentuals lipstick in red zin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm glad that that the mascara works for you! and berry smoothie looks nice on you! I like that maybelline color tattoo as well. :) Wohoo october favorites!

    ReplyDelete