Thursday, August 2, 2012

Review & Swatches: Stila In the Moment Eyeshadow Palette

I promise this will be my last eyeshadow palette purchase in a while! I was feeling a bit more adventurous, probably due to all the bright summer colors, and decided that my collection could use a versatile purple palette - hence, say hello to my new Stila In the Moment Eyeshadow Palette ($39 for 0.49 oz/14 g, available at Apothica.com)!
When I first opened the little cardboard box/sleeve it came in, I was absolutely delighted with the packaging: it's a slim cardboard palette in a satiny deep lilac color, which makes it super easy to find in the stack of eye palettes in my vanity drawer. Inside, there is a Smudge Stick Waterproof Eyeliner in Tetra, a glittery deep purple, and 10 eyeshadow in a variety of finishes:
Instinct, a pearly off-white;
Impulse, a very light shimmery lilac;
Glance, a satiny bright blurple (blue purple);
Improvise, a satiny dark plum;
Cataclyst, a matte black with magenta microglitter;
Desire, a matte pink ivory;
Wonder, a shimmery warm champagne;
Spontaneous, a metallic cool gold;
Whim, a shimmery coppery bronze;
Captivate, a satiny dark taupe brown.
I've tried to capture the palette in both natural daylight as well as in artificial 'studio' lighting so that you get a better idea of how beautiful these shades are - I hope that helps!
Top and the photo above: daylight, bottom and the rest of the photos in this post: artificial lighting

The cardboard sleeve also comes with a shade diagram on the back, and there's also another shade layout diagram on the back of the palette itself. In the box, I've also found a little booklet with a variety of eye look suggestions - quite handy if you don't feel that creative yourself.
 All of the shades feel very soft and smooth to the touch, but have varying levels of pigmentation; as per usual, the metallic/shimmery shades are the most pigmented, while more satiny and matte shades, like Glance or Desire, are a bit more sheer (with the exception of matte Cataclyst, which is nice and dark). The eyeshadows blend like a dream over the eye and have very little to no fallout. They also stay put throughout the day over an eye primer with minimal fading or creasing. I have to say that so far, I'm really impressed with Stila's eyeshadows!
The Smudge Stick in Tetra is a nice enough shade but to be honest, I could also do without it - it's neither very pigmented or very smooth to apply, and as for longevity, I usually don't have problems with my eyeliner smudging, so I can't really comment on whether it withstands a lot. I do however like the microglitters in the shade, it makes it a bit more interesting without being too adolescent.
Here's a look I did using the darker end of the palette, just to give you a bit of a change from all the subtle looks I usually go for. I used Captivate all over the lid and blended it up in the crease, and then I added some Cataclyst at the lashline and blended it upwards and outwards into Captivate. I also smudged some Improvise under the lower lashline, but you can't really see that in the photo. I finished off with Desire in the inner corner and under the brow and a creamy black eyeliner smudged into the lashes. I got a lot of compliments at work on this more dramatic but still daytime appropriate smokey eye!
I'm very pleased with my new Stila palette but I've also started to realize that I might have way too many palettes that I can reasonably use on a day to day basis; I have a couple of gorgeous palettes that I regrettably haven't reached for in at least couple months. So, In the Moment is my last palette purchase for this year, I think, and I can't wait to put it to a good use!

Have you tried Stila eyeshadows before? What is your current favorite eyeshadow palette?

11 comments:

  1. gorgeous palette, love the pigmentation. you look pretty with this eye makeup <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried any Stila palettes before... But I can totally relate to having too many palettes. I want to try a Stila one; I've been having a few problems with my Naked palette because a few colours have horrible fall out (I still love it though)! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, there are some outstanding shades in this palette! I've never tried anything from Stila (apart from a gloss a loooong time ago) but this definitely makes me want to go check out the brand. I really like Improvise, Catalyst, and the entire bottom row apart from Desire.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Stila shadows, actually - they're always so gorgeous and pigmented and easy to use. I think my current favorite is my Tarina Tarantino palette, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a ton of palettes that get no love too... I really need to just go on a rotation or something. It's starting to make me feel bad, haha! Love the look you came up with there but I want to know what's on your lips!!

    xo, alison*elle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, hon - I think the lips are Clarins Shimmering Lip Perfector in Rose; swatches coming soon!

      Delete
  6. i need to stop purchasing palettes as well! just in the last three months i have accumulated naked 2, sleek's storm & au naturel, nyx champagne & caviar, lorac's topaz quad and theBalm's meet matte & nude'tude. really, how many neutral palettes does a girl need? at least 5 apparently.

    improvise is my favorite from the stila palette. i feel like i have seen the other colors before. either way, your smokey eye looks very pretty and well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks for reminding me about the Sleek palettes; I have them too and don't use them often enough at all :)

      Delete
  7. I LOVE how Captivate looks all over your lid! It's a beautiful taupe. I actually really like all the colors in this palette, and that's rare for me. Have to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this is such a pretty palette for you! Works so well with your colouring. Hope you've been well, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a great review!! I love the quality of Stila eyeshadows so this is now permanently on my wishlist :)

    http://hiddentreasure21.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete