Thursday, January 19, 2012

Review & Swatches: Physicians Formula Nude Eyeshadow Palette

In all honestly, I'm really glad that drugstore brands jumped on the Urban Decay 'Naked' bandwagon and started coming up with their own versions of neutral eyeshadow palettes. See, I prefer my eye make-up quite boring, and then I like to play up my lips & cheeks a bit more, which is why I'm always looking into new neutral shades to add to my collection.

Hence this Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips Nude Eyes palette ($10.99 for 0.26 oz). I just couldn't resist, it's so tiny and cheeky with that lace overlay, meow.

As you can see, the palette is not much bigger than a tube of Revlon lipstick, and comes with 9 shades of eyeshadow in one single pan. I'm not a huge fan of this solution, because the individual strips are rather narrow so it's difficult not to mix shades when picking them up with a brush, but I can still live with that for the price of portability. Physicians Formula suggest these 9 shades are in fact split into 3 trios, Natural, Playful and Dramatic, for achieving different looks. Personally, I just like to mix and match.

In terms of formulation, these are definitely not my favorite. They seem a bit bumpy under the brush and after swatching with a (clean!) finger, it looks like there's a bit of a greasy film left on the surface, which makes it difficult to pick up pigment with your brush. It's almost as if they're too hard, but creamy. As a result, the pigmentation is not the best, but can be built up for more intensity. Physicians Formula also claim these can be used wet, however I personally never bother to do that.


I still really enjoy using this little palette for its shades - I'm sorry the swatches are not the best, I couldn't get them to show up exactly right. The shadows perform best over primer, here they're swatched on top of Benefit F.Y.eye base.

Overall, Physicians Formula Nude Eyeshadow Palette is definitely an interesting foray into the world of neutral palettes from a drugstore brand, but the shadows themselves could be better formulated. Does it replace my Urban Decay 'Naked' Palette? Hell, no, but I think I actually enjoy the 'Nude' palette shade selection better; I mean, look at those taupes, people. If you're a neutral palette collector and prefer cooler shades, I do recommend it, but if you're looking for a 'Naked' alternative, look elsewhere.

What are your favorite neutral eyeshadow palettes?

7 comments:

  1. I don't know what my favorite neutral palettes are! I used to have the Naked palette, but then whaddya know, allergic to parabens...it went to my mum (barely used) and she was really pleased :) I think Naked 2 is paraben-free so I'm really tempted, but you know, I don't actually think I wear browns that often! Someone needs to come out with a "naked" type palette that has grays and peaches and pale ivories...things like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm tempted by Naked 2 as well, but I think that will have to wait a bit, I just have way too many neutral eyeshadows!

      Delete
  2. I don't really have a favorite neutral palette..I've never found one that was perfect, but I'll definitely keep looking! But I do agree with Larie..a palette that has peaches, grays and ivories would be great..then it would truly be 'naked' colors...and I would definitely buy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely agree, also, as we discussed with Larie, a variety of finishes, but no glitter!

      Delete
  3. I never really liked the look of PF shadows so haven't been paying attention, but the colours are rather nice. :)

    I'm waiting to see Naked 2 in person before making any rash decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not fond of PF's eyeshadow texture/formula but I like the variation of champagnes and taupes in this palette. The lack of browns is a nice change!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the shades too, I wish the texture was a bit better - then it could have been Holy Grail material!

      Delete