It took me forever to finally take the plunge and splurge $19 on this bad boy... And I'm so so glad I have it in my possession now, also thanks to the amazingly detailed review comparison by Citrine and delicate nudging from Suka and Spice on our swatching trip to Sephora.
What is it?
A redesigned Eyelash Curler that firmly catches each lash at the root and leaves them beautifully lifted and curled. With just one squeeze, you will instantly glamour-eyes your lashes with this new and improved curler from Shiseido. The broad curve curls lashes from the inner to the outer corner and the edge-free design prevents pinching. (from Sephora website)
What I like about it:
- It works. Simple as that. Mind you, I have naturally a bit of a curl to my lashes, but this is another story. The curler hugs beautifully the curve of my lash line, gripping every single hair, and curls without pinching. My lashes look lifted and my mascara goes on easier coating all my lashes evenly. The curl does drop a little during the day, but it might also have something to do with the mascara I'm using (a dying tube of Maybelline Full 'N Soft). Just take a look:
- I really like blackened silver color of it, I think it looks simple and elegant!
- The spring is rather powerful so that you don't have to squeeze very hard
- The rubber pad feels nice and squishy... Citrine really does explain it a lot better.
- The handle is comfortable to use
- It comes with one replacement rubber pad, and additional ones can be purchased for $6
- I think currently it's more widely available than the Shu Uemura curler and it's a tiny bit cheaper
What I dislike about it:
- Hmmm... That's a tough one! Maybe it could cost a bit less? Or the fact that it curls my lashes so well that it makes it difficult to put mascara on my lashes without smearing it under my browbone (yes, my lashes touch my browbone when I look up... not because they're that long, I just have rather small lid space)? I don't know. It's simply fantastic.
If you're still unsure whether a more expensive eyelash curler is worth the money compared to a cheaper one, here's the proof:
Can you see the difference between the curve of the silver no-name curler and the Shiseido? That's what makes it work so damn well. Maybe you can find a cheaper curler that does the same thing - in which case I congratulate you - but I love my Shiseido. Now and forever.
What is your favorite eyelash curler?