Saturday, June 6, 2009

Yummy Saturday breakfast

My mum bought for me the last month's issue of the Polish edition of Shape magazine, and I found this yummy little recipe for Blueberry Banana Pancakes; perfect for lazy summer mornings! The amounts shown serve 4 and you need approximately 25 minutes to prepare them.

Ingredients

Nonstick cooking spray or olive oil
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 very ripe medium bananas
1 cup nonfat milk
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries (do not defrost)
4 tablespoons maple syrup or honey to pour over the pancakes

In a medium bowl, combine both flours, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix well with a fork and set aside.
In a large bowl or food processor, mash bananas until mushy. Add milk, egg and vanilla and mix or process until blended.
Add dry ingredients to banana mixture and mix or process until just blended (tiny lumps should still appear; do not overmix or pancakes will be tough). Ladle 3 tablespoons of batter onto hot griddle for each pancake. Top each with 1/2 tablespoons of blueberries.
When bubbles appear around the edges of pancakes, after about 2-3 minutes, flip and cook 1 minute. Transfer pancakes to a warm plate and keep warm in a 250°F oven while you cook remaining pancakes.


I served mine with fresh strawberries, honey and yoghurt. Delicious! If you're concerned about your diet, one serving (3 pancakes) contain 384 calories, 6% fat, 83% carbs (that's why they're better for breakfast than dinner!) and 11% protein. They have quite a lot of calcium and a bit of iron too :)

I am thinking of doing a little post about some interesting tips and tricks I found in the magazine, are you guys interested? Thanks for stopping by! xxx

8 comments:

  1. Mmmm they look delicious! And yes for the tips and tricks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds delicious! Might have to try these!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll work on tips and tricks today, I promise :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello just to let you know that i left you a response on my blog - would love to do hen post thanks so much for asking me to do it - will do it very soon xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh yummo! Low fat?? Are you sureeeeee ;P haha nah I have a Weight Watchers recipe similar to this and it's really light and tasty too! I would LOVE to read your little tips and tricks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I make these for my kids all the time, my son is obsessed with 'flapjacks' as he call them. I also use whole wheat flour and i add wheatgerm. I even freeze them then pop them into the toaster as I need them. Great post as usual xxNadia

    ReplyDelete