Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Review: Burt's Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Creme

... in Canada also known as 'Crème pour cuticules au beurre de citron' :) As promised, I gave this cuticle treatment a week's try and I am ready to report back to you, my manicure lovers.

First, a bit of the marketing babble:
Give your needy nails a helping hand. Nourish and moisturise nails and cuticles with this intensive, natural treatment. A touch of lemon oil makes your nails smell incredibly clean, healthy and beautiful, naturally.

The product contains lemon oil, which is known for its astringent and anti-irritant qualities, and is 100% natural. The list of ingredients was pretty impressive to me, you can view it at Burt's Bees website here.

See the dent I made right in the middle? Somehow I always use cream products up like that...

The product retails for $7.99 CAD. It comes in a super cute little tin (perfect to throw in your purse) and the consistency reminds more of a wax than butter. It's quite solid at first and you really need to press your finger into it until the product melts. It's recommended to massage the butter into and around nails 'often' (sic!), but I only had enough time and patience for twice a day use. Probably the most pleasurable experience about this is the smell; this stuff smells of lemon tarte! I've always been very much into citrusy aromas, so I simply adore it :)

So how did it perform? Before I say anything, I need to give you some background. I've always had terrible cuticles and fingertips. My skin there is super dry and cracked, to the point where I get little wounds around my nails. Not too sexy, even if the polish is pure perfection. Previously, I tried some Avon cuticle treatment my mum gave me, but there was nothing nice about using it so I couldn't really bother. Anyhow, I decided to get my cuticles and nails into shape before the wedding, so I bought this Creme tempted by the vintage packaging and ingredients. I thought I could just keep it in my make-up bag to use on the go.

So after one week's use, I did notice an improvement. Maybe it's not a miracle, but almost all the little wounds and cracks are gone and my fingers look nice and moisturized. It didn't really do anything for the nails, but on the other hand I have naturally strong nails. I also applied it on the scabs on my thumbs I got from paddling, and it definitely helped to heal. I'm still in love with the smell and will certainly continue using it and check out other Burt's Bees products in the future.

Will I repurchase? Oh, yes!

6 comments:

  1. I use this a lot BUT i do find it doesnt absorb so well and that makes me think once I run out Ill never re buy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, it's true, it does leave this sort of layer but somehow I don't mind, it kinda smoothes my rough skin... I also don't mind Lush massage bars, so that's probably just me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good review - sonds like from the comment above, it would be great for an overnight treatment? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use it mostly when I blog in the morning (so I don't mind it doesn't absorb) and before going to bed, so definitely! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard recommendations for it as a nighttime treatment, but I try to use it at least twice a day too and it definitely makes a difference. As soon as I stop using it my nails fall apart again though :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Rosario: Last night I was thinking about what Tali said about it not absorbing very well into the skin. I found it depends on the amount you put on your cuticles, and yes, at first it seems it will never sink in, but in fact it does! After 5 minutes there's no layer of it on the skin.

    Unfortunately, I've been naughty again and picked on my index finger cuticle... :( Hope Burt's Bees will help! xxx

    ReplyDelete