Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Canada beauty discoveries

First of my 'Farewell Canada' posts, here you have a list of the best make-up and beauty products I discovered during my stay in Canada from September 2008. Most of these buys were hugely influenced by the beauty community on YouTube and here on Blogger, so they probably don't sound all that innovative to you, but they were very new to me. Some of the brands mentioned are practically unheard of in Poland!

Enough rambling, on to the good stuff :)

1. MAC


Of course, the most known Canadian brand out there... So far, I only own 2 MAC products, a concealer and a brush cleanser, but I love them both. Can't wait to get my grubby mits on the eyeshadows, and fiance promised a wee trip to the MAC Pro Store before I fly back... heheh [devilish laugh]. Raising your eyebrows in surprise? There are at most 2 MAC stores in Poland, both opened last year, and for an average student's pocket MAC products are as reasonably-priced as, let's say, YSL lipsticks.

2. Marcelle skincare
Another Canadian make-up and skincare brand. I got Marcelle's Oil-free Multi-defense Lotion after my La Roche Posay moisturizer turned my face into a mirror each time I used it. It has SPF 15, which is a great bonus, very faint smell, absorbs well into the skin and doesn't clog my pores! Plus, it's great value: about $17 CAD for 120 ml.

3. GOSH Extreme Art eyeliners
Amazing, vibrant colors and unbeatable staying power. Funny that GOSH is unavailable in the US but sold in every Shopper's Drugmart drugstore here in Canada :) The brush applicator takes a bit of practice not to get them smeared all over your lashes, and that's probably the only downfall. These eyeliners last through kayaking, rollerskating and climbing! See swatches of the ones I have here.

4. Covergirl Lash Blast mascara
Great drugstore find, separates the lashes really well and gives them a bit of a definition. Nothing revolutionary, so don't you distress lovely UK ladies, but still a good buy overall.

5. TreSemme Heat Protective Spray
Love the smell of this stuff, I just spray it on the wet hair and style. Sometimes I use it even if I let my hair air-dry... Can't go wrong with vitamin-infused spritz in your locks!

6. Burt's Bees hand moisturizers
I love the whole idea of the brand using all natural ingredients and their cute vintage packaging, especially the little tins with cuticle creme or hand salve that you can just throw in your purse. The scent makes using their products another simple life pleasure!

7. LUSH massage bars

Mange Tout ('Eat all') massage bar, current favorite

Again, I like LUSH as a natural skincare brand, and the smells... I find them especially appealing in the winter/spring, when I am more keen on sweet, honey scents. Their massage bars melt onto your skin, leaving it soft, moisturized and smelling delicious :) On the other hand, their bath products seem too pricey considering what they are.

So that's my shortlist, hope you liked it :)
Have you ever discovered a brand abroad and wished it was available where you live?

9 comments:

  1. Great post!
    I'm a proud Canadian so it's great to see you were able to try these products out in Canada. I think GOSH is from Denmark though and available in the UK and maybe other countries? not sure.
    Cheers,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know about GOSH, but I only discovered it in Canada so that counts for me :) Take care, hun xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love gosh!! THey have fab bits and bobs!!
    It is weird how UK has it, Canada does.. random European countried.. but not the US!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel in love with US drugstores full stop. Superdrug isn't bad but it's not a patch on Duane Reade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Tali: It's so true about GOSH, but the weirdest thing is I wanted to have a look at their version of Slimshines, and they're not available here! Oh well, who knows, maybe they're available in Poland?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Ondine: I've only been to Washington state and I haven't seen Duane Reade there, unfortunately, but still I was thrilled to peruse other drugstores! I totally envy you Superdrug for Sleek palettes though :)I'm thinking of making a swap with one of you UK bloggettes... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, what a great short list! I love MAC and Lush especially. I'll have to check out the other beauty finds. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @OceanDreams: If you like Lush, I think you'll also like Burt's Bees, it's also an all-natural company! x

    ReplyDelete