Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Barbie contest entry

As promised, I worked today on my entry for Laura's (LF Loves MU!) Barbie contest. At first, I didn't really have any inspiring idea for this contest; Barbie Loves MAC is not my sort of thing. However, I decided to google some images, hoping that I'd be able to find something appealing enough.

I came across countless sites and blogs devoted to collecting dolls, especially Barbies. It seems that Mattel releases limited edition dolls in the same manner as MAC releases limited edition lipsticks, and just as we collect make-up, there are people who collect dolls; they don't play with them, of course, they're too precious, they just want to have them in their collection and admire them from time to time.

On one of such sites I saw photos of Misaki Outsider doll from the Gothic Dream Collection, and I knew I had to recreate this look :)


Isn't it a beautiful and unique doll? Its design is inspired both by Japanese culture as well as some gothic elements, but the make-up itself reminds me a lot of the 60s. I also tried a similar hairdo, but I wasn't too successful, unfortunately. Anyhow, this is what I came up with:


Even borrowed a tie from my fiance, heheh :) I won't bore you with the foundation and so on, but this is what I used for the eyes and lips:

Revlon cream eyeshadow palette in Seashells
NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Iced Mocha (inner corner and waterline)
NYX Ultra Pearl Mania eyeshadow in Nude on the lid
Margaret Astor black kohl eyeliner 
generic white and black eyeshadow
GOSH Eyeliner pen in black
Ardell Demi Wispies false eyelashes

NYX Long lipliner in Neutral
Bourjois Dr Glamour lipstick in Brun O'Petit Soins
The Body Shop shimmery lipgloss (the label has peeled off, so I don't know the exact name...)
Avon Color Trend lipstick in Cafe Au Lait

Thank you Laura for running the contest, preparing this look was so much fun! Hope you enjoy my entry :) Have a lovely evening, everyone!

16 comments:

  1. You look amazing! You have such gorgeous eyes :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! I think you did an amazing job with the makeup and the whole look in general. I am just taken with your creativity in your blog. Besides the fact that you are stunning without a stitch of makeup. Question: does Vancouver have NYX at London Drugs or supermarkets or anywhere on Robson? We don't have it here anymore, its been a long time since we carried them.
    Thanks for sharing this.xxNadia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this is so stunning! Your eyes look amazing!! They are so big and gorgeous!!! Good luck for the contest :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous! thanks so much for entering :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is Soooo gorgeous! I'm so impressed with your skills of Makeup AND photography! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic! Love the crease cut and the eyelashes. You are so pretty! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Nadia: Thank you, dear! I try to think of new, fun stuff to put on my blog, but I am not sure if people really like it; I believe I have the fewest followers of all the active blogs I've seen! But it doesn't matter, you guys are so special that I can only say that quality is more important than quantity. As for NYX, I know that in downtown you can buy it at Rexall on Georgia, but they don't carry all of the products - no lippies, for example! Take care, sweetheart :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Sarah: I loved your entry too, hun :) Good luck to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Marie: Thank you! Yesterday was a bad day for photography and I took more than 200 to choose these 3... Sometimes I wish I had a model, it would be so much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @LottieB: I also loved the look in the Barbie photo, but when it came to applying pencil/ shadow in the crease, I got a lot of transfer, so I had to go back, remove black traces, reapply nude eyeshadow, and again, and again... Jeez. But it was worth it, after all! Thank you for your sweet comment, dear!

    ReplyDelete